Thursday, January 5, 2012

Finding random acts of kindness

I've decided this year I want to be a nicer person.

Generally, I think I'm nice. Compassion is my passion, and I hate to think I could have hurt someone's feeling by being unkind. I even hurts me when I know someone has been hurt by another's unkindness. I don't understand why anyone would intentionally want to be mean to someone else. Call me extremely naive, but I truly feel deep down everyone has some good in them. I don't know what turns that good bad, but maybe kindness can help heal even a meanie's soul.

If everyone cared about each other more than we cared about ourselves the world would be such a better place.

I want to try to do my part this year by finding a random act of kindness to execute once a week.

When I set this goal the only random act I could think of was paying for some one's food behind me in the drive through (and pray they aren't ordering for a family of 10). I couldn't think of much else, so I had a chat with Mr. Google and came across HelpOthers.org where I found a plethora of ideas!

They have this cool list called a "smile deck" of cards sorted with acts of kindness for people you know, for strangers, for our world, and for yourself.

I'm already eyeballing a couple ideas for this week. I love the idea of doing things for strangers, but I think it's almost even better to do things for people I know too.

I'll let you know what I decide to do this week. Right now I'm leaning towards calling or writing a letter to a mentor.

Have you ever done anything like this? I don't think I've ever made such a conscious effort to try something like this.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home