Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Thinking aloud

Have you ever had something come to you and you can't get it out of your head? Something you've really wanted to do? A goal you've had? In the past I guess graduating college, starting my career and having a baby were some of these things, but between all of that, there's been something else lingering in the back of my mind.

It started with a dream. I have very vivid dreams every single night. Most of the time I remember them. I've though of keeping a dream journal but haven't seen the point as when I wake up and tell my husband, mom--or whoever will listen about the dream I had, I usually end up feeling stupid about it, and wonder where the heck my slumber thoughts are coming from. The funny thing is they make so much sense to me when I'm in them, but when I wake up an explain it, I sound like a lunatic.

Well a few years ago I had a weird dream and told several people about it. I thought if I could build upon it, it could even make a good book. I sat down and wrote a few pages then gave up and started on new things. This blog being one of them.

But this dream and book idea has been in the back of my mind for years now. I've always thought it would be so neat to write a book someday. If only I had something good to write about. A good idea. I've thought of somehow transforming my blog into a book but I know so many people who do that--Or try to do that, and I honestly don't know why anyone would want to pay to read my blog in book form. Besides, right now I'm more interested in fiction.

I don't think I'm a great writer. I write for my job but it's so different than fictional writing and so more conversational and elementary. I don't have the skills to write something that could be published someday, but I still think trying (to write, not get published) would be fun to do.

Before having my daughter I dabbled with the idea of applying to graduate school for creative writing. My company has excellent benefits and would even pay for it. Now isn't the time to start a graduate degree, but I did find a creative literature class as a local community college and am considering signing up in the near future. I think it would be such a fun way to explore this passion that's been burning inside me for a while. Even if nothing big ever comes from it, I love to learn and I think the casual no-pressure experience of a class for fun could be good for me, and a good escape from my wife/mom duties. Some nice alone time.
I don't know.--I don't know if this is something I'll really do. I'm just thinking aloud.

"We do not need magic to change the world, we carry all the power we need inside ourselves already: we have the power to imagine better." -J.K. Rowling

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home