Monday, September 5, 2011

How to Make DIY Korker Hair Bows: What I'm Makin' Monday

I made a craft again and I'm feeling a bit domestic once again. Oh, and I made our lunches and cooked dinner like 4 or 5 nights in a row this week. I'm on a domestic diva role. Sure, the dinners start out frozen, and our lunches aren't gourmet but it's a step in the right direction.

I like to call my crafting ways "Hood Crafty" because I don't have a lot of the fancy supplies, and I find short cuts to make tutorials I find even simpler.

This week I decided I wanted to make some korker bows. I've been eying these for some time but they usually cost more than I'd like to pay. I have tons of ribbon already, and metal prongs to add bows and clips to, and I bought a dozen 1/4in wooden dowels and was set.

Here's what I used to make mine:
6 1/4in Wooden dowels (I used all 12 of mine to make two full, long bows)
Assorted 1/4in grosgrain ribbon
Bobby pins and/or Clothes pins
Scissors
Metal two-prong hair clips (you can get them at Sally's)

Others also use strong thread and hot glue, but I forgot to get the thread and decided not to use the glue just yet. So here's how I did it.

Step 1:
Wrap the ribbon around the dowels. Hold the ends in place with the bobby/clothes pins.

Step 2:
Bake the ribbon on 250 degrees for 20 minutes.

Step 3:
Take them out of the oven and let them cool.

Step 4:
Pull the ribbon off the dowels and cut them the length you'd like the bow to be (slightly longer than the circumference you're looking for. I did mine about 4.5-5in long.

Step 5:
Now here's where my bows got "hood." Instead of using strong thread I tried to use a rubber band, but it popped. Then I tried to use my regular sewing thread but it broke, so I decided to just use one of the pieces of korked ribbon to tie a group of them together. I found this worked great, but later read that dental floss works, so I may change it out. The nice thing is I can always untie it and rearrange/change the mix of colors. So long as it doesn't come out from her bouncing around.

Step 6:
At this point, you're suppose to glue the ribbon to the metal clip but I was worried I'd want to change it later, so for now I just slipped one of the two metal prongs under the knot I tied. It worked, but I'll probably change out the ribbon for floss and add the glue once I settle on the colors I want to keep.
Put them on your little doll and TADA! Fabulous little corker bows! I didn't tie her hair in pig tails (I actually kept her up way past her bed time to take these photos) but it looks like she's got some extra colorful curls to go with her own. I love them! It's a quick and easy way to spice up piggies or a pony tail.

So what did you think? Cute, no? And way easy?

Have you made or cooked anything lately? Link up! It can be an old post, I don't care! It's been forever since I've done one of these so I'm sure there's a few of yours I've missed.

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home