Monday, May 28, 2012

DIY Kite Hair Bow Organizer: What I'm Makin' Monday

Finally got the craft bug again. Moving took it all out of me, but a huge blank wall in Lil' J's room was driving me nuts and I had to do something about it.
Something else I needed help with? My bow addiction. I've realized I have a bow hoarding problem. It's ridiculously hard for me to get rid of any bows because right before I do I think "but it'll go great with X-outfit" or "I can make a skirt to go with this."And I hang on to it. Unless I'm giving them away to friends, I can't bring myself to toss them out or even donate them yet.

I've already made a headband tree, used oatmeal cans to make more headband holders, and a picture frame to hold some clippies, but we still have more that need a home.

Thanks to Pinterest, I found another bow organizing tutorial that would also fill the annoyingly blank wall, and give a solution for her growing bow collection.

So I've seen ribbon bow holders. Simple strips of ribbon hanging from a doorknob or such, that you can clip your bows to. I found a genius tutorial that took it a step further and made the strip into kite tails and the bows clip to the tail.

With the amount of bows she has, and the amount of wall space, I decided to make four kites with long kite tails to string across her room.

Here's how I did it.


I used: Hot glue, scrap fabric, wire hangers, coordinating ribbon.

Step 1: Bend the wire pulling the bottom part of the hangar down so it becomes shaped more like a triangle. Straighten out the hook too (I kept mine slightly curvy since I wanted to look like it was flying across the wall.)

At this point, Lil' J already knew they were going to be kites. She ran around yelling "Kites! My kites!" After wrangling her I moved to step 2.
Step 2: Cut the scrap fabric to be about 1/2-1" wider than the kite shape.


Step 3: Hot glue the fabric to the wire one half of the kite at a time. Pull it tight as you glue the second side down.

Step 4: Cut and glue ribbon strips 1" longer than the length and width of the kite and glue them around the back side of the kite.

Step 5: Cut the ribbon for the kite tails/ bow holder and tie a knot with extra slack at the base of the kite, then glue the ribbon on each side of the hanger hook.

Hang on the wall and enjoy! What do ya think? Link up, I'd love to see what you've been makin'!
What I'm Making Monday

(highlight ctl+c)

Labels: , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home