Monday, February 20, 2012

How to make a headband holder using oatmeal cans: What I'm Makin' Monday

As I've mentioned before, Lil' J literally has HUNDREDS of hair bows. She wears one almost every day, and has at least one that'll mach every outfit.

I made a hair bow holder using a picture frame, a headband tree, and now, I have another way to store her bows.

I'm thinking I'm going to incorporate some random act of kindness with all of these bows we have. She sometimes gets a comments on her bows from other moms while we're out. Maybe I'll keep a stash with me to share with little girls who notice Lil' 's bows. It'll help me de-stash the overabundance and do something nice at the same time.
If you're looking for a way to organize headbands you have all over, here's one way. It frees up some space by creating a place to put bows inside and around.

Remember how I got oatmeal cans from a woman off Freecycle? Well little did I know there are a couple of sizes of oatmeal cans. I had the small kind, but the large kind are best for this project.

I bought two cylinders for about $3 each, poured the oatmeal into tubs, and got to work.
Here's what you'll need:
Oatmeal can
Scrapbook paper (or fabric)
Modge Podge or glue
Sponge or paint brush
Scissors

Step 1: Measure the height of the cylinder and cut the excess paper off so it'll fit height wise.

Step 2: Spread modge podge or glue the canister.


Step 3: Stick the paper to it. If it doesn't fit all around (mine didn't) then cut a little extra paper to close the gap, and glue.

Step 4: Cut a circle piece of scrapbook paper to fit on the lid and glue in place.

Step 5: Wait for it to dry and add hair bows.

TADA!

Easy enough right? Some people use candle stick holders to act as a prettier base, and if I find some at a thrift store I may add that element.

Hope this helps someone else who's overflowing with bows. Have you made anything crafty or delicious lately?

Labels: , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home